In moments of isolation, it’s easy to forget that your individual voice can become part of a very powerful chorus. We love these helpful reminders from the World Wildlife Federation and Sciencing.
“We are the first generation to know we’re destroying the world, and we could be the last that can do anything about it. Speaking up is one of the most powerful things you can do especially if it’s to the right people. Talk to your elected representatives. Tell them to commit to action to protect our natural world. Contact the brands you buy from and get them to tell you how their products are sourced. Use social media – this is one of the most effective ways to get brands to listen to you, so tell them that you want a change.”
- World Wildlife Federation and Sciencing
- Find Your Representatives: Make sure you contact the representatives at the right level of government. For example, if you're writing about the Trump administration's environmental rollbacks, you'd write to your federal representatives because they can vote on federal legislation. If you're interested in a state-wide law, contact your state representatives, and so on.
- Write A Personalized Email: Online petitions make it easier than ever to send form emails to your representatives – but sending a form email usually means getting a form response in return. You'll make more of an impact if you write the email yourself.
- Pick Up the Phone: Sending an email is so much more convenient than picking up the phone – which is exactly why phone calls can draw more attention to your cause.
- Show Up in Person: There's no better way to make your representative face the reality of climate change than through, well, literally facing concerned constituents.
- Most importantly, vote!: Voting is your opportunity to send the representatives you want to government – so they can fight for the issues you care about the most.